Director Randal Kleiser took numerous liberties with the original source material, most notably moving the setting from an urban Chicago setting (based on William Howard Taft High School), as the original musical had been, to a more suburban locale, reflecting his own teenage years at Radnor High School in the suburbs of Philadelphia. He had little control over the musical aspects of the film; his choice of theme song, a composition by Charles Fox and Paul Williams, was overruled when Robert Stigwood and Allan Carr commissioned a song from Stigwood's client Barry Gibb at the last minute, which displeased Kleiser.
- 1 Frankie ValliGrease 3:22
- 2 Джон Траволта & Olivia Newton-JohnSummer Nights 3:35
- 3 Olivia Newton-JohnHopelessly Devoted to You 3:03
- 4 Джон Траволта & Olivia Newton-JohnYou're the One That I Want 2:49
- 5 Джон ТраволтаSandy 2:33
- 6 Frankie AvalonBeauty School Dropout 3:59
- 7 Stockard ChanningLook At Me, I'm Sandra Dee 1:40
- 8 Джон Траволта & Jeff ConawayGreased Lightnin' 3:13
- 9 Cidny BullensIt's Raining On Prom Night 2:52
- 10 James GetzoffAlone At a Drive In Movie 2:25
- 11 Sha Na NaBlue Moon 2:22
- 12 Sha Na NaRock 'N' Roll Is Here to Stay 2:02
- 13 Sha Na NaThose Magic Changes 2:18
- 14 Sha Na NaHound Dog 1:23
- 15 Sha Na NaBorn to Hand Jive 4:38
- 16 Sha Na NaTears On My Pillow 2:03
- 17 Cidny Bullens & Louis St. LouisMooning 2:15
- 18 Cidny BullensFreddy My Love 2:47
- 19 Louis St. LouisRock 'N' Roll Party Queen 2:11
- 20 Stockard ChanningThere Are Worse Things I Could Do 2:22
- 21 Olivia Newton-JohnLook At Me, I'm Sandra Dee 1:29
- 22 Джон Траволта & Olivia Newton-JohnWe Go Together 3:00
- 23 James GetzoffLove Is a Many Splendored Thing 1:23
- 24 Frankie ValliGrease (Reprise) 3:25
|Runtime||1 hr 50 min|
|Budget||$6 000 000|
|Premiere: World||$396 271 103 August 10, 1978|
|USA||$190 071 103|
|Other countries||$206 200 000|
|Box Office – Budget||$390 271 103|
|Premiere: USA||$190 071 103 June 16, 1978|
|first day||$664 766|
|Digital: World||May 15, 2019|
|Parental Advisory||Sex & Nudity, ...|
|Production Companies|| |
DescriptionGood girl Sandy Olsson and greaser Danny Zuko fell in love over the summer. When they unexpectedly discover they’re now in the same high school, will they be able to rekindle their romance?
Related Movies There are no related titles yet, but you can add them:
Randal Kleiser — Best movies and TV Shows
A sugar-rush of a film.
It’s a winner.
Much-loved but somewhat overrated.
A grave disappointment to anyone in search of style or substance.
Grease holds up for new generations because it captures the enthusiasm of youth and the vibrancy of California’s sunshine-and-cars culture.
Just an average musical, pleasant and upbeat and plastic.
What makes it work is its youthful vitality, the tremendous energy and imagination expended on its virtually wall-to-wall song and dance number.
Randall Kleiser’s 1978 spoof of '50s iconography [is] so consciously cheesy from the outset that it hardly seems dated today.
Travolta is a riot. Alternately swaggering to prove his "coolness" and re-affirming his ability on the dance floor, the actor gives the kind o...
It has no kind of focus in atmosphere or tone, it doesn’t even have a look. It’s just sort of floating insult, shopping for a...
Grease has energy and a total commitment to pleasing its audience.
There’s a surprising strain of filth, too – this is much closer to Hairspray than High School Musical. The message is: burn rubber...
The friskiness of the performers, the choreography by Patricia Birch and most of all Travolta’s phenomenal charm give it its value.
The screenplay is a prepubescent shambles, the direction is by acne out of disposable douches, the dubbing and looping of the songs is painful...
Limp, cheaply made.
Add critique link
Sign up and you will see here
friends impressions of the movie.
Friends comments and ratings
The first association after watching is that the film is very similar in style to the film "Crybaby". Average. It will do for once. Rebel Hipsters in Leather Jackets. Songs and dances. Pseudo-nitrous oxide on old junk cars. It looks forced, but what did I expect, it’s a musical..) 6/10 Translated to English